The Love of Reading and Art of Writing at Leacock Museum
We at Leacock Museum strive to interpret this imaginative heritage throughout the National Historic Site and extend it by way of our contemporary educational and outreach programs.
Each year thousands of schoolchildren visit the Museum and participate in curriculum-linked cultural and natural heritage programs. Many return for our periodic Day Camps to focus on reading and writing.
For emerging writers we offer Writing Academies under the direction of established writer/teachers. Poetry Reading events, held in the Shoreline Café and at Leacock House throughout the year, lead up to the Leacock Festival in July. This literary Festival features readings by a variety of established and emerging talents.
At Leacock Museum we encourage the love of reading and the art of writing in association with authors, educators and organizations such as Canada’s national literacy organization, Frontier College. Hence our Latin motto The Written Word Remains, is spoken with a gentle smile.
Littera Scripta Manet Horace 31 BC
Stephen Leacock (centre) during a fly fishing excursion with May “Fitz” Shaw and Francis Page Hett, Orillia, Ontario, Canada 1933. (Photo by Olive Hett Seale 1933)
Daily life at Old Brewery Bay revolved around writing and fishing – fishing from the Writing Studio/Boathouse; in Lake Simcoe; on excursions with friends and fellow writers (above); and then dining on the catch.